Dear Solar Partner,
Thank you for looking into our fact sheet about Assembly Bill 1139 which will be put forward on 4.22.21. AB1139 attempts to kill California’s rooftop solar market by:
- Mandating $50-$90 monthly grid access charges for any and all solar systems regardless of customer type or system configuration.
- Slashing export credits down to 3 cents per kilowatt hour, a greater than 80% reduction in value.
- Residential solar would go from a 6 to 8-year payback today to a 20 to 50-year payback under AB 1139.
- Commercial solar would be equally hard hit.
- Solar systems paired with energy storage would not escape the negative economics proposed by this bill.
- The bill makes no exceptions for low-income consumers and would kill the market for schools, farms and many other customer types.
- The bill would make changes retroactively, impacting the vast majority of NEM 1 and NEM 2 customers.
- The bill is being sponsored by the California Association of Electrical Workers and the Coalition of Utility Workers. It is being supported by the utilities. It is being authored by Lorena Gonzalez, chair of the assembly appropriations committee, the second most powerful person in the assembly.
To lend your voice to the effort to save California solar, you can use this quick and convenient form.